Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Quick Pea Soup

It is so chilly and damp outside, that I am very lucky that I can work remotely from home today. I have a ton of work to accomplish, so I wanted a quick lunch that would keep me warm all afternoon. I decided to put my Vitamix to use and make a super-fast pea soup. (and I could write this while my soup was cooking!)



I chopped up half a red onion and 3 little potatoes and threw them in a pot with a bunch of frozen peas and veggie broth. Once the potatoes were cooked I put everything in the blender, with a little lemon, and turned it into smooth, velvety soup.

This entire recipe took me about 20 minutes from start to finish. 20 minutes doesn't seem like too much to spend on a fresh lunch considering:

1) That's just a little longer than heating a can of soup
2) The soup is much fresher than a can
3) I needed an excuse to get up from my desk anyway!

Here's the recipe... oh yeah, the soup will be VERY hot when it is done. I might have to wait longer for it to cool than it took to make it!

Ingredients

1/2 red onion, peeled and chopped
2-3 small potatoes, quartered
1 cup frozen peas (or fresh if you have them)
3 cups of veggie broth
dash of herbes de provence or a seasoning that you love
small slice of lemon peel
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Add onion, potatoes, and peas to a pot with 2 cups of veggie broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook until potatoes are soft and cooked.
  2. Pour the cooked ingredients into your blender. Add remaining veggie broth, herbes, and lemon. Blend on high until the soup is smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. 
  3. Pour into a bowl and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment