Tuesday, August 6, 2013

I'm baaaack!

I've been away for a little while... although I've still been cooking and creating fabulous recipes, a few things got in the way of actually blogging:

  1. I got married! 
  2. We went on a long honeymoon to Hawaii! 
  3. We bought a new house and moved!
  4. I got certified as a Food for Life Instructor for the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM)!
So, needless to say, I had a few things going on that got in the way of my blogging. Well, no longer! We are back in the swing of things and I have some great stuff cooking. I thought for my first blog back I would post one of the Food for Life recipes that I'll be making next week at my free Power of Your Plate nutrition and cooking seminar in Ashburn, VA. (Register here)

While on our honeymoon, we stayed at a fabulous hotel that made me a green smoothie every morning... It was so flavorful from the fresh produce that I couldn't take a picture fast enough before I finished it!

This recipe is particularly great for starting your day in the right way with plenty of fruits and veggies and kids really enjoy it too. Let them add the spinach into the blender and they will be excited to try the green monster! 


If you have never tried spinach or kale in a smoothie, start with spinach because it really doesn't add taste, but it does add a lot of nutrients. Kale has a bit more flavor, so work your way up to it and you'll be surprised at how good it tastes. Feel free to experiment with this recipe by adding your favorite fruit or by adding spinach into your own favorite smoothie recipe also.

Green Monster Smoothie
Ingredients
Makes 6 servings
6 cups fresh baby spinach or kale
1 1/2 cups fresh or drained canned pineapple chunks or pears
3 cups green grapes
1 1/2 bananas
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups ice
Directions
Blend all ingredients together.
Add more ice for a thicker smoothie.

Nutrition Information | Per serving (1 cup):
calories: 106; fat: 0.4 g; saturated fat: 0.1 g; calories from fat: 3%; cholesterol: 0 mg; protein: 1.9 g; carbohydrates: 26.9 g; sugar: 19.5 g; fiber: 2.7 g; sodium: 28 mg; calcium: 46 mg; iron: 1.3 mg; vitamin C: 38.9 mg; beta-carotene: 1739 mcg; vitamin E: 0.9 mg

Recipe from PCRM Food for Life Program. Originally named the Going Green Smoothie, this recipe was reproduced and reprinted with the permission of Vita-Mix Corporation, Inc.


No comments:

Post a Comment