Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Chia Oatmeal

It's the day before Thanksgiving and I have a bunch of recipes that I will be tackling today in preparation for tomorrow. I knew I needed a good breakfast that will keep me from sampling too much today, so I made my chia oatmeal. This is a fast and filling breakfast that you can have any and everyday if you want!

Chia seeds are remarkable in that in 1 serving (2 TB), they have as much protein as an egg, fiber as several pieces of whole grain bread, omega-3's of two salmon filets and many other nutrients. They are easy to digest and keep you full longer than most other breakfast foods. On many mornings, I will leave out the oatmeal part of this breakfast and just have the chia seeds, almond milk and fruit. It is a filling and refreshing breakfast, that still feels light.

But back to today, Chia Oatmeal is so fast and delicious, you'll be surprised and wonder why you don't make it all the time! When you get into the kitchen, immediately put a pot of water on the stove and when it is boiling, add some oats. I use gluten free oats or steel cut. I choose the kind of oats based on how much time I have to cook. If I have a lot of time, I'll use steel cut oats because they take longer to simmer. Once the water starts to simmer down a bit, I add cinnamon and vanilla, with a splash of agave.


The oatmeal will be done cooking in about 15 minutes (total from start to finish including boiling the water). While the oatmeal is cooking, I put a couple tablespoons of chia seeds into 1/4 cup of almond milk and let them sit. I also through in whatever fruit I have at the moment. Today I have some delicious frozen blueberries.



Once the oatmeal is done cooking, I slowly add it to the chia seed mixture, mixing after adding a scoop or two, and then adding more. I do it this way because the chia seeds are cold from the frozen blueberries and the almond milk and I don't want the hot oatmeal to cook that mixture. Once it is all mixed up, I put it in a bowl and eat it immediately!



Chia Oatmeal

Serves: 2 (you can easily make this for one by cutting everything in half)
Start to Finish Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients
2 cups water
1 cup oats (if you use steel cut, it will take longer to cook, but will be heartier)
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
1 TB agave or sweetener of choice
4 TB chia seeds
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup blueberries or any fruit you prefer (fresh or frozen)

Directions

  1. To make the oatmeal: Bring 2 cups of water to a boil over high heat, add oats and decrease to a simmer. Simmer until desired consistency is reached. When the oatmeal is almost done cooking, add cinnamon, vanilla and agave and stir to combine.
  2. To make the chia seeds: Put 2 TB chia seeds into each of two bowls. Add 1/4 cup milk to each bowl and stir. Add 1/4 cup blueberries to each bowl.
  3. When the oatmeal is done cooking, add half to each bowl and stir to combine. 
  4. Enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment